It’s every party host’s worst nightmare: friends and family celebrating and toasting when a guest accidentally spills a glass of red wine on a beautiful carpet. Before the stain ruins the night, the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) recommends a few key steps for removal.
How can the stain be prevented from becoming permanent?
• Act fast
• Fill a cup with warm – not hot – water and add two to three drops of laundry detergent, preferably clear, for better penetration and distribution
• Saturate the spot with about half the solution, blot the excess with paper towels – not colored napkins – repeat the saturation process and blot some more
• Rinse with some warm water and blot again
• Forget the myth … pouring white wine on a red wine stain will not remove it. Pouring water on the stain and blotting thoroughly does the same thing with fewer residues in the carpet
There may be a little soil attracted to the damp spot before the party’s over, but that’s relatively easy to remove the next day. Make sure that the damp spot doesn’t create a slip/fall problem if guests will be walking off the spot onto a hard surface floor
What if the spill goes unnoticed and is allowed to dry and stain the carpet?
• Try a little test area with the warm detergent water solution to see if it responds
• If the carpet is fairly new or only subject to light traffic, the stain may be easily removed with the above process
• Remember that strong, especially alkaline detergents can remove the protective treatments and allow the stain to become permanent
• Never use bleach to remove the stain, since it’s likely that carpet’s color will be removed as well
• If the stain can’t be removed with a water and detergent solution, contact a certified professional cleaning service to remove the red wine
• Certified professionals have a variety of specialized agents and techniques to remove most spots and stains without damage to carpet
• After cleaning, they can re-apply the protective coating to maintain high levels of soil and stain resistance
For a full and accurate price quote call Carpet Plus Cleaning Today 763-856-3232